I'm Scared Everyday...



Emma just had her 9th birthday... I can't believe it. There have been so many times that I could have lost her. I lived in constant fear when she was younger and purposely kept her from places and activities due to her food allergies. If you would have told me then, that she would be thriving in school, loved playing team sports, traveled and went to birthday parties, I'm not sure I would have believed it. Don't get me wrong, I'M SCARED EVERYDAY. 

I don't think the fear will ever completely go away but I have learned to manage it better. Here are some food allergy safety rules that I follow with Emma. I hope they will help you. 

1. She NEVER leaves home with out her Epipen. It is with her at all times, even at school. It is not left in the office, it is always next to her. Her doctor wrote a note saying that due to Emma's history and the severity of her allergies, it must be with her at all times. 

2. I pack Emma's lunch and snacks everyday. We never participate in the lunch program at school even if we know that what is being served is safe. There is always the risk for cross contact or human error so we never take chances. 

3. Emma has a large container of safe snacks in her classroom and at her after school daycare program. This helps in case someone brings in surprise snacks or Emma is just extra hungry one day. This way, she is never left out and can enjoy a treat with her friends. 

4. Emma never accepts food from anyone, whether its at school, at practice or while having fun with friends. 

5. If the ingredients aren't listed clearly on a label, or there are ingredients we are not sure of, we assume the item is not safe and we don't take the chance. This happens often with things like candy or slime. Her allergens can be found anywhere!

6. Eating out is always scary. We never have fast food- too much risk of cross contact. We stick to the few places that we know take amazing care of her. If we are trying somewhere new, like when we travel, I always call ahead first to make sure they feel they can cook safely for her. When we arrive at the restaurant, we ask to speak to a manager or chef to make sure she is taken care of properly. If the person we speak to seems confused, annoyed or doesn't take the severity of the situation seriously, we get up and walk out. We never take chances!

7. I only keep the people I trust with Emma, that take her allergies seriously, close to us. This can cause issues at times because sometimes that means distancing ourselves from people that were previously close to us, and even extended family members. BUT, at the end of the day, Emma's safety is what is most important. 

8. Emma is always involved in her care. She reads labels with me and has even started cooking with me. This really helps her to continue learning how to live safely. After all, one day she will be caring for herself!

9. She wants to help others like her! Emma came up with becoming "Allergic Emma" and wanted to help others like her. The more involved she is by being an advocate, the better she feels. Every day we discuss ways to spread food allergy awareness or stories that are making headlines in the food allergy community. This helps Emma to always realize the severity of her situation which ultimately helps keep her safe. 

10. Lastly, I pray every day. There comes a point where you have done everything you can and you just have to "let go let God". This is a scary concept, as I said I'm scared everyday, but Emma is happy and feels more "normal" than she ever has which is amazing. 

I hope my rules help you and answer some of your questions. Some might say I am too extreme with my rules or might not agree with what we do. This is what works for us. Everyone needs to find what is best for themselves and their families. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Your daughter has so many food allergies... What can she eat?

How do you keep your daughter safe on an airplane?